Level 3 OCNLR Accredited Course comprising of 13 units over six intensive study weekends.
Green Candle Dance Company is a recognised Centre for the Open College Network London Region
‘The course gave me new insight into practical aspects of teaching and acted as a spring board for potential areas of theoretical research.’ Course participant 2016-17
This course will provide an understanding of how to lead safe, effective and enjoyable dance and movement work with older people. This course will provide a balance between three main areas – theory, dance and movement work by participants and actual practice with older people.
The course is divided into six complete intensive study weekends and will also require a minimum of ten hours per week private study. Tutorial support will also be available.
Participants will be required to complete a detailed placement portfolio.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be able to:
- demonstrate the basic practical requirements for running a dance session
- apply relevant anatomical and physiological information – both general and with specific reference to ageing
- understand some of the psychological effects of ageing and have positive strategies for dealing with these
- demonstrate the ability to structure dance sessions
- define the physical imperatives – flexibility, dexterity, strength and cardiovascular fitness – and be able to use various safe and effective approaches to achieving them
- use various paths to creativity in older people’s dancing
- use with confidence different choreographic approaches
- use appropriate music for dance sessions
- select music for choreographic purposes
- identify the different broad categories older people fall into – active elderly, people with age-related conditions, people with dementia etc. – and be able to demonstrate appropriate strategies for them
- apply different teaching and learning strategies
‘… inspiring and intensive, the course leaders offered us a huge wealth of experience and wisdom…
we came out fully equipped to lead dance sessions for older people.’ Course participant 2014-15
Course fees are £1200 which includes registration and certification. All course materials are provided free. Small props may be purchased from Green Candle at a course participant discount.
The deadline for applications is 31st August 2018.
Please note: Places are limited and we require a £200 deposit for you to secure your place.
Course dates 2018 – 2019:
October 20th and 21st 2018
November 24th and 25th 2018
January 12th and 13th 2019
February 16th and 17th 2019
March 16th and 17th 2019
April 27th and 28th 2019
NEW! There are also Level 3 OCNLR accredited LEADING DANCE FOR PEOPLE WITH PARKINSON’S units available as an add on to the Diploma (at extra cost) or they can be taken as a standalone certified course over two weekends. Dates to be confirmed.
Contact email@example.com for an application form.
Limited places available
Speaking Dancer Interdisciplinary Performance Training
Professional development course designed for dancers who wish to develop their interdisciplinary skills as performers and makers run by Jacky Lansley with Fergus Early as a guest tutor. For more info follow this link: www.danceresearchstudio.com