Moving into Maturity
A two day introductory professional development workshop:
Leading Dance with Older People and Dance and Dementia
28th and 29th November 2019
Green Candle Dance Company is delighted to announce we will be holding our Moving into Maturity workshop again in November 2019. Booking is now open for this two day introductory course, for those interested in leading dance for older people and dance for dementia.
Moving into Maturity is a specially designed introductory professional development course for people who are working or intending to work with older people. Suitable for professional dance artists, health care professionals and students – this course will introduce you to some of the key skills needed to lead dance sessions, both seated and standing, with older people and people with dementia. Attendees are welcome to take part in the two days or join us for one of the days – depending on their interests.
Both days will include the unique opportunity to share in the knowledge and experience of participants that regularly take part in dance activities with Green Candle – Spinoff, Green Candle’s dance company for over 55s on day one, and the participants of the Remember to Dance programme for people with early- to mid-stage dementia and their companions and carers on day two. This session will be accompanied by live music.
When: Thursday 28th and Friday 29th November 2019, 9.30am-4.30pm
Where: Oxford House, Derbyshire Street, London E2 6HG
Fees: One day – £80/ £60 concession; Two days – £130 / £95 concession (students,unemployed, 60+)
Day one: Leading Dance with Older People
Thursday 28th November 2019
Led by Fergus Early, participants will take part in practical sessions for older people as delivered by Green Candle (standing and seated), including warm ups, stretching, a choreographed sequence and cool downs. A wide range of discussion about ageing and the empowerment of older people will be facilitated. Areas covered on day one will include:
- establishing the valuable contribution to society of older people and the value of dance to older people
- acquainting participants with the structure and content of sessions for both active and less mobile older people as practised by Green Candle
- an opportunity for participants to share their own knowledge and experience of working with older people
Day two: Dance and Dementia
Friday 29th November 2019
The second day will address leading dance specifically for people with dementia. Fergus Early will focus on the application of dance sessions for people living with dementia including practical activities, reflective discussions and a short session with some participants of Green Candle’s Remember to Dance programme. In addition a Dementia Awareness presentation will be led by experts from the Alzheimer’s Society. Areas covered on day two will include:
- the different forms and variables of dementia, how they are presented and their symptoms
- ways of communicating with people with dementia to create a positive relationship between you and the participant
- practical examples of the positive impact of Remember to Dance as evidenced in the Sidney De Haan research study
- the benefits of dance activities that go beyond pleasant recreation