Moving into Maturity
A two day introductory professional development workshop:
Leading Dance with Older People and Dance and Dementia
14th and 15th Sept 2022
Green Candle Dance Company is delighted to announce we will be holding our Moving into Maturity workshop again in Sept 2022. Booking is now open for this two day introductory course, for those interested in leading dance for older people and dance for dementia.
Moving into Maturity is a specially designed introductory professional development course for people who are working or intending to work with older people. Suitable for professional dance artists, health care professionals and students – this course will introduce you to some of the key skills needed to lead dance sessions, both seated and standing, with older people and people with dementia. Attendees are welcome to take part in the two days or join us for one of the days – depending on their interests.
Both days will include the unique opportunity to share in the knowledge and experience of participants that regularly take part in dance activities with Green Candle – Spinoff, Green Candle’s dance company for over 55s on day one, and the participants of the Remember to Dance programme for people with early- to mid-stage dementia and their companions and carers on day two. This session will be accompanied by live music.
When: Wednesday 14th and Thursday 15th Sept 2022, 9.30am-4.30pm
Where: Online via Zoom
Fees: One day – £90/ £70 concession; Two days – £140 / £110 concession (students, unemployed, 60+)
Day one: Leading Dance with Older People
Wednesday 14th Sept 2022
Led by Fergus Early, participants will take part in practical sessions online for older people as delivered by Green Candle (standing and seated), including warm ups, stretching, a choreographed sequence and cool downs. A wide range of discussion about ageing and the empowerment of older people will be facilitated. Areas covered on day one will include:
- establishing the valuable contribution to society of older people and the value of dance to older people
- acquainting participants with the structure and content of sessions for both active and less mobile older people as practised by Green Candle
- an opportunity for participants to share their own knowledge and experience of working with older people
Day two: Dance and Dementia
Thursday 15th Sept 2022
The second day will address leading dance specifically for people with dementia. Fergus Early will focus on the application of dance sessions for people living with dementia including practical activities, reflective discussions and a short session with some participants of Green Candle’s Remember to Dance programme. In addition a Dementia Awareness presentation will be led by experts from the Alzheimer’s Society. Areas covered on day two will include:
- the different forms and variables of dementia, how they are presented and their symptoms
- ways of communicating with people with dementia to create a positive relationship between you and the participant
- practical examples of the positive impact of Remember to Dance as evidenced in the Sidney De Haan research study
- the benefits of dance activities that go beyond pleasant recreation